Skip to content
Individuals need to:
- Recognized the disadvantage of the status quo.
- Recognize the advantages of change.
- Hold some optimism about change.
- Have an intention to change.
- Make a commitment to change.
Recognize the disadvantage of status quo:
- I never really thought about how…
- I think I have not taken this serious enough
- I can see now that if I don’t change…. I could die sooner
Recognize the advantages of change:
- If I weigh less, I could buy regular size clothing
- If I weighed a normal weight, I would have more energy
- I would probably feel better if I exercised
- I might enjoy my grandchildren more as they grow up
Expressing optimism about change:
- I think I could exercise 2 times a week
- I was able to quit smoking many years ago
- I usually can do something if I made up my mind I am going to do it
- I think I can do this with some support from family
Expressing intention to change:
- I think it is time for me to do this
- I have got to do something
- This is not how I want to be the rest of my life
- I don’t know how I will do this but I am going to have to do it
Making a commitment to change:
- I have a plan
- I have accountability
- I have the drive
- I have support