Anxious people tend to be hyper-aware of their surroundings. They are always on the lookout for possible threats or risks in new situations. Plan ahead.
- Talk to your children about upcoming situations.
- Teach your child to shake hands to say hello instead of a hug.
- Practice deep breathing techniques for when your child is overwhelmed.
- Eliminate the unexpected.
- Tell your child ahead of time what to expect.
- Create a secret signal. This is a way you and your child can let each other know when they need help without alerting others.
- Schedule special family time. Try to find time for your family to sit down together to play games, watch a video, or engage in other fun and relaxing activities.