- Create “mindful reminders” by choosing something that happens randomly during your day such as getting a text, stopping at a red light, noticing a flowering tree, finding a red car, and others. Use it as a signal to pause and take a few breaths.
- Do more of what you love. When you get busy and stressed (which seems to be a lot at times) resist the tendency to skip the things that feel your soul. Instead, double down on what you love-whether it is hiking, reading, coloring, dancing, or spending time with people who make you laugh.
- Oil your feet before bed. Try a warm bottle of sunflower or coconut oil in a bowl of hot water, use about a tablespoon to coat your feet and ankles and massage each foot for a few minutes. You could even rub your special friend or person’s feet while they rub yours. This is very relaxing and could promote a good night sleep.
- Give yourself a good shot of nature throughout the day. Get outside for a few minutes in the morning, afternoon, and evening. During your time outside bring in your sensory awareness such as the sounds, the feeling of the breeze, and the colors around you.
- Savor the good. Each day or night ask yourself “What was a great moment today?” This will help you change your thinking toward positive thoughts and emotions.
What it is: Just like it sounds, gardening (called horticultural therapy) has benefits in addition to eating the fresh vegetables you have grown.
How it works: Gardening is shown to reduce depression, uplift mood, and improve memory. Some of this may be related to the effects of being outside in the sunshine, and fresh air, as well as enjoying the benefits of moving and getting exercise. There is also research that shows that being exposed to soil microbes actually has a similar effect on the brain and nervous system as some anti-depressants.
16 Tips for a Positive Rest of the Year
- Stay Positive. You can listen to the cynics and doubters and believe that success is impossible or you can trust that with faith and an optimistic attitude all things are possible.
- Take a daily “Thank You Walk.” You can’t be stressed and thankful at the same time. Feel blessed and you won’t be stressed.
- Eat more foods that grow on trees and plants and fewer foods manufactured in plants.
- Talk to yourself instead of listening to yourself. Instead of listening to your complaints, fears, and doubts, talk to yourself with words of truth and encouragement.
- Post a sign that says “No Energy Vampires Allowed.” Gandhi said, “I will not let anyone walk through my mind with their dirty feet,” and neither should you!
- Be a Positive Team Member. Being positive doesn’t just make you better, it makes everyone around you better.
- Don’t chase success. Decide to make a difference and success will find you.
- Get more sleep. You can’t replace sleep with a double latte.
- Don’t waste your precious energy on gossip, energy vampires, issues of the past, negative thoughts, or things you cannot control.
- Look for opportunities to love, serve, and care. You don’t have to be great to serve but you have to serve to be great.
- Live your purpose. Remember why you do what you do. We don’t get burned out because of what we do. We get burned out because we forget why we do it.
- Remember, there’s no such thing as an overnight success.
- Trust that everything happens for a reason and expect good things to come out of challenging experiences.
- Implement the No Complaining Rule. If you are complaining, you’re not leading.
- Read more books than you did in 2019. I happen to know of a few good ones. 🙂
- Don’t seek happiness. Instead, live with love, passion, and purpose and happiness will find you.
When the Weather is Not Great: Power-Up at the Indoor Mall
It’s warm and dry…and there is coffee. Go ahead and grab your friend or family and join the walkers in the mall. It is a great spot as there are bathrooms and water. Many malls open early in the morning before the stores do. You can also window shop during your walk.
Here is a great workout
Warm-up: walk for 5 minutes at a comfortable pace.
- Walk briskly for 20 minutes.
- Do 10 jumping jacks every time you make it to your favorite store.
- Do 10 squats when you pass a favorite restraint.
- Do 10 lunges when you pass a jewelry store.
- Do 10 high marches when you pass the food court.
- When you get to an empty bench do 10 push-ups with hands on the bench.
Cooldown: walk for 5 minutes at a comfortable pace.